The inimitable BallWonk issued a challenge to all Nats bloggers the other day. Actually, it wasn't just any challenge: it was the 2007 Nationals Progdown Blognostication Credibility Challenge!
I'm never one to back down from a challenge, particularly when it comes to tests of manhood, cunning, and derring-do. After all, you're looking at the keg stand Gold Medalist in the 1998 PiKA-AEPhi Alcohol Olympics (45 seconds, baby!) But in this case, I'm going to have to settle for a test of prognostication abilities. And so, without further ado, here are my predictions for the Challenge:
1. Nationals season record: 65-97
2. Nationals NL East division place and games back (if any): 5th place, 22.5 games back.
3. Date on which Nick Johnson first appears in a Nationals game: July 4, 2007.
4. Date on which Nick Johnson suffers season-ending injury: September 15, 2007.
5. Nationals team leader in pitching starts, with number of starts: Matt Chico, 28 starts.
6. Total number of starting pitchers used: 25.
7. Number of ejections for Manny Acta: 2.
8. Guzman's batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging average: .273/.283/.385
9. Nationals home runs at RFK: 42.
10. Paid attendance for the July 21 game against Colorado at RFK (our only Fox national broadcast of 2007) : 15,281.
These guesses are as good as any, I guess. We'll see what happens.
At any rate, it's less than 2 hours until the first tailgate of the season at this year's exhibition contest. Come say hi if you're around.