Saturday, September 09, 2006

DFA: Happy Hours, Sad Days Edition

I think we need to devise some kind of season-ending mercy rules for truly horrible teams. Watching the Nats, the Royals, the Cubs and all the other cellar-dwellers trot out there night after night is like watching a kid with tater tots in his pockets breakdance in front of his whole school. It's just painful, man. After a dismal defensive effort on Thursday night, the team went out and committed SIX errors on Friday. Amazingly, Barry Svrluga tells us that this merely ties a franchise record set in 2002.

Felipe Lopez was once again involved in the error-fest, and it's clear that he's become a huge defensive liability. It's funny how the Reds trade appears to have become a net loss for both clubs, at least in the short term. We may now have a middle infield of Felipe Lopez and Cristian Guzman next year. Gulp.

When I do my 5 questions features, other bloggers like to ask me what hope I have for the Nats in 2007. I always tell them: none whatsoever. Jim Bowden is not going to be able to overhaul the starting pitching AND bullpen AND bench AND defense in one offseason. It's just not going to happen. Sadly, I think 2007 looks a lot like 2006. 2008 won't be a lot better, but the three-story triple-helix waterslide and the revolving Fuddruckers at the new park will keep us blissfully unaware of the tragedy on the field. Realistically, I don't see this team contending before 2010. It's going to take that long to dig ourselves out of this grave. Anyone have a different opinion?

I went to a DC Sports Blogger happy hour on Thursday night. It was terrific! I got to meet MissChatter and DCSportsChick, among others. I really enjoyed meeting them both. It's really nice, every once in awhile, to come out from behind our computer screens and interact the old fashioned way...person to person! I challenge you to do the same...get thyself to Baseball on the Barn on September 23!

In what has to be the largest anticlimax since the July 31 trading deadline, MASN is finally making its debut on Comcast in my Arlington home on Monday, September 11th of all days. Gee, thanks Comcast, you weasel-faced arses. I may flip to the game just to see this for my own eyes, but then I'm going to come to my senses and watch the Redskins vs. the Vikings.

Speaking of the Redskins, what are you doing still reading this blog? What am I doing still writing this blog? I can't tear myself away, somehow. You really should be over at the Curly R, if for no reason other than each article doesn't read like a funeral for the local team. We've got Redskins sesason previews, 5 questions with Vikings bloggers, and live blogging/open threads on gamedays. You'll love it, I promise.

Really.

I'm serious.

Dude!